10.11.11

Reasons Why I Should Love Pride and Prejudice (and Other Jane Austen Books)

They're a cozy read.
I'm secretly jealous of women (because, let's be honest, men are not reading these books) who curl up on an ottoman with a throw and a Jane Austen book and are zapped into a world where people are proper. Something about the winter season always makes me want to read Jane Austen, so I can be one with my sisterhood.


The language is fantastic.
The words are charming. Jane Austen was a good writer.

The characters all have such good manners.
There's something compelling about books where the worst personality trait someone has is they are a little too feisty. Or maybe I've been reading too much Salinger.

It's pleasant and violent-free.
There are no wars, no physical tiffs, no abortions, no drug lords, no mental hospitals. Or maybe I've been reading too much Palanuik.

The movie has Keira Knightley in it.
I watched the opening credits, then fell asleep. Then woke up to turn it off and turned something else on. Even though I adore Keira Knightley, I had a hard time.

But... I'm sorry, Jane Austen fans. I just can't get into it.
Why?

I don't like stories where women tame men. Women, let's just be as wild as they are.

3 comments:

hannah joel said...

you? you like pride and prejudice?
YOU?!?!??!


I DON'T BELIEVE IT.

Lindsay said...

Says "Reasons Why I SHOULD Love It"...

I don't. :)

Me said...

I love it. Sorry, I do. But then again, my favorite is Persuasion. Tried that one?