15.3.10

Baby Frankensteins: Jesus



Jesus


Facts about this song:
--It is written as a sort of hate-note to God.
--I do not currently hate God.
--I did at one point hate God.
--This is a song about a violation.
--I believe in brutally honest prayer, that if you can pray and be grateful and humble, you can tell God off as well and not be struck down.
--Praying this way requires perhaps more faith than always being nice and thankful to God. I believe God is more interested in hearing us speak to Him/Her/It bluntly, without fear, in a venting manner.
--I promise I'm not this angry anymore. My friends had no idea.

I knew one day I'd have to face it
But I didn't think I'd wish that my conscience was dead
Or dying
Trapped in this box full of secrets
But it's better than reliving my hell
Well, my hell is reliving it
Every night when the lights are gone
So Jesus--You're the one I'm supposed to turn to?
But oh, God--how I want to blame blame blame You
Now I've got to figure out what's best
And somehow it's worse now that You're here
Slow down, slow down, little girl
Let's see if this too will pass
After all, He made you a promise
And I'd be a fool to trust You again
And so I'm gonna go see what the devil has to offer someone like me
So, Jesus--so You're the one to clear the pain?
But oh, God--when I think of You, all I see is shame
Now I've got to pick it up and groove on down the road
Well, I say that's not how it's supposed to be
And I can forgive him, but can I forgive You?
And when I tasted his sweat mixed with my sweat
I looked up, but You were nowhere to be found

Hmm. Don't really know why everything's highlighted. Or how to change it back.

1 comment:

Jessica Martiele said...

Sad, what so many of us women have in common, isn't it?

I don't think there is a soul, group, or faith out there that would crap on your for your lyrics. Like you, I find earnest prayer far more compelling, and like to view God as a trusted confidant who can handle the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth - even in his direction - from a young woman.

Though I appreciated this song for all its strength, sincerity, and frankness, I felt like it waffled a bit between the passionate hurt and anger you were feeling and a bit of indecisive musing. If that was what you were going for, you succeeded, but it didn't quite work for me. I guess I want to feel my pain and shame entirely and not reign it in for even a few moments' worth of musical strains. In other words, anything that sounded upbeat broke my wallowing train of thought. :)

Reminded me. Wanted to embrace the rage. Didn't quite get there, but it was close enough to be able to let out a sighing breath at the end. Again, terrifying how easily we women who have suffered similarly can relate.........