15.3.10

Baby Frankensteins: If


(my vocals are the most shaky on this--I'd blame it on emotions, but truthfully? Our famous musicians are digitally perfected before releasing albums, and this simply isn't.)
If

Once upon a time, Ricky went on a mission. And while he was on a mission, I loved another boy. I don't speak of him, ever, because honestly? The pain I put him through by breaking up with him is too much pain for me to think of. I chose Ricky over Eric. Eric really loved me. In fact, Eric spoiled my ass.

This is a breakup song. But not an angry one, just one where I thought of the good things I got from that relationship. There were too many to list. I learned about kisses, about how to hold hands, about how to talk on the phone to a boy--all from Ricky. But I learned how to be in a relationship from Eric.

My favorite line in this is about the room not being cold... Just meaning that there's some people you love in your life, adore. But when they're not there--it doesn't change a whole lot. Eric is on this album just as much as Ricky is.

This song gave me closure I needed.

If you ever hear our song again
It's okay by me if you remember us
And when you blow those sweet kisses away for good
Just know that your face is carved into my soul for good
And thank you for teaching me about a broken heart
And thank you for teaching me how to say what I want
When I see the sun, I'll know that you are looking too
And I'll smile
I smile because of you
I think we both knew that we had had enough
You were enough
But things change, and time changes things--
See, the room was never cold when you weren't here
And thank you for teaching me how to let it go
And thank you for teaching me how to pick, what to grow
When I dance, my feet will step where we danced
And I'll smile
I smile because of you
I said I'd hold you till I died
You said my fire was what you loved the most
Well, look where we are
Someday I'll look at pictures and wonder if my life was any good
But pictures fade--
But memories don't
I'll think of you and know that my life was good
And thank you
When I dance, my feet will step where we danced
And I'll smile
I smile because of you

3 comments:

Amber said...

This song gave me chills! You are very talented Lindsay. I am sorry you have had to deal with some not so fun stuff in your life. You are a strong, amazing woman.

Jessica Martiele said...

Hm.

Okay, let's see. I'd love to say that I loved it...it was unique, melodic, sweet...and I fear I got a little bored.

Not every song much be fabulously engaging, of course, but as I listened I found myself also checking my email.

Makes great background music, and it's poignant and touching, but it just didn't grab me the way other have. It's one of those on the cd that a few thousand fans would cling to but would never get air time. Does that make sense? Pretty and sweet, but not my favorite.

Do you still feel this way about that relationship? Just wondering.

Jessica Martiele said...

And stop attacking your bloody vocals, will you? Most of us lack your perfect pitch and don't know the bloody difference, not to mention any off-notes just make your performance more authentic. So there.