15.3.10

Baby Frankensteins: In Our Own Way



In Our Own Way
Hmmm... What can I say about this song? I almost would have to take it apart line by line. I was in a time where I was really upset with the men in my life, the men in the world, but just as angry at the women in the world for taking a lot of bullshit they didn't deserve. But at the same time, I realized that the only ones standing in the women's way... was the women.
Oh, and the "she?" She's someone very close to me who said very wise things.
My baby frankensteins, for which the album is named, is anything creative I've ever done. I constantly feel protective of anything I make, including my songs, and am reluctant to display them to the "villagers" (you). At the same time, they're the reason I'm here on earth.


Driving back through roses
And I'm through with this time of day
Pouring through the bullshit
And the lies of this time of day
And I realize what she's said she's said all along
I think Ophelia had it right--
Just throw myself in a river
Every time the men go crazy
With their rites of passage and their rules of conduct
What do they have that I don't have?
Hey, world, when did you turn your back on me?
And I will do all it takes until you make sense again
We are all in our way
And she said it's not so bad
What to do or what to say to make sure
I get my money's worth this time around
Because one day when this empire falls
I will be the only one left standing tall
You should have known that I would be the one left standing tall
Hey, world, when did you turn your back on me?
And I will do all it takes until you make sense again
We are all in our own way
And she said it's not so bad
And if she said it's not so bad, then it must be not so bad
We'll show them
Well, I'm just here to protect my baby frankensteins from the villagers
Hey, world, when did you turn your back on me?
Hey, world, why won't you look at me?
And I will do all it takes until you make sense again
We are all in our way
And she said it's not so bad

1 comment:

Jessica Martiele said...

This song is true art, Lindsay.

Your vocals are astounding. Your natural sense for how your lyrics, voice, and timing should blend with your music is absolute perfection in this song.

This is by far your most professional piece from those I've listened to. Again, your timing is spot-on.

It's not the most relatable song for me, but with this baby frankenstein, that makes absolutely no difference; it still sucks you in, spins you around in the heavens, and gently sets you back down at the end to rest your dizzy head.

Very few of Tori's songs find radio popularity, and though this may struggle similarly, I am certain that this song would be widely-recognized by fans as their daydreaming song. It is perfect in its construction, openness, and flow.

Holy wow.