1.2.11

Medusa


Few things mean as much to me as the ancient myths, which were told to me by my dad as a kid. My favorite stories always featured strong women: Psyche, so desperate for her husband Cupid to return that she carried a box to the underworld to bring him home; Medea, who refused to be humiliated and disrespected by her husband, slew everyone in her path; Penelope, faithfully waiting her king's return, raising their son on her own...
 Medusa is the strongest of them all. She's known as a monster, terrifyingly ugly with a deadly gaze. But in Greek myth, she was a Gorgon sister, a daughter of a marine deity, holy to Mount Olympus--born beautiful. Poseidon, god of the ocean, ravished her (i.e., raped her horribly) in Athena's temple. Athena was offended that such a dirty act would happen in her temple, so she turned Medusa into the snake-haired monster we all know.
This year I plan on tattooing Medusa's head into the inside of my wrist, just a tiny symbol of the Greek myths, of strength, and of the danger and potency a woman can have.

3 comments:

mama said...

lame sauce. you'll regret it.

Lorraine said...

I was medusa for halloween when I was 11. Scared the crap out of my classmates, much to my delight, and kept finding rubber snakes in the back of my closet until I moved out for college. I support the tat. (sorry Mrs. E)

Anonymous said...

I'm an art therapist and believe in the power and duality of symbols. There are lots very interesting myths around the world about women and snakes (and aren't necessarily negative...there are always two sides two a story). If you love this symbol and it is important for you then go for it. :)