16.3.10

Baby Frankensteins: Hiding



Hiding

This song... pretty much defines my relationship with Ricky... and with myself. Where are you? One person says. I'm right here waiting for you. I'll remove all my armor if you'll just be a bird with me. But the other one is in a fantasy land, all by himself, wanting to be left alone.
I always said I'd close every show with this. It needs a violin, obviously.

Where'd you go?
Where are you hiding?
Well, I'm in iron
Clad in iron
Wrapped in a little pink one
Where'd you go?
Pissed my stocking dreams away
And I say
Ready or not
No one's looking
Well, I'm a bird and I thought you were
Where'd my dancing sonnet fly to, I wonder?
Where'd you go?
Where are you hiding?
I'll shake that body upside down
Until the man I found comes crawling out
Ready or not
No one's looking
Well, I'm in silver swirls and sugar coats
And I only wanted to be left alone
Can't I be left alone?
Well, I'm in handcuffs led by murder men
And I really only wanted to be left alone
Can't I be left alone?
Where'd you go?
Where are you hiding?
Well, I'm in iron
Clad in iron
But I'll remove it all for (you)

1 comment:

Jessica Martiele said...

Sorry for the delay...got wrapped up in my own damn life again. As I begin, I want you to know that my comments are unbiased and sincere, and that I may also be quite critical when I deem it necessary. (Would you respect me if I weren't?)

So...first thing's first. I hadn't been on your blog in a few days, and so I was going backward, which means I came on this song first. Thinking it was a song you have been particularly fond of recently (and wondering why I hadn't heard of the Baby Frankensteins), I went ahead and clicked to listen. My first impression was that I was listening to a professional work.

I swear to God.

Or whomever you prefer.

Anyway, I was immediately caught up, wondering who this Tori-inspired new artist was, and how she had managed to nail such an immense part of your life. (I dismissed the thought when I realized how many artists have touched on pieces of my own life.)

The tune is somber, earnest, and drew me in, the voice is clear, intense, human but somehow other-worldly, and I wanted to immediately hop on mirc and find a copy.

Then I read up on what the song really was - your early recording efforts - and it took me a moment to strap my jaw back into place.

I remember very clearly hearing your singing voice for the first time during your musical audition at 14 years of age; you were exceptionally talented then, and your voice has only become more beautiful as it has matured. You were cast as Tallulah for a reason: no one else could have pulled it off the way you did. The depth of emotion inherent in your song and in your singing is like many well-known and gifted artists, but accompanied by the piano, of course it calls to mind Tori's music.

I am dumbfounded and speechless. Your gift has never been more evident than in with this song. You have obviously poured your heart and soul into it, and it leaves me breathless, not beecause I know you and I'm biased, but because I am a fan of this sort of passionate music with simple, heartfelt accompaniment.

I listened to the next song down and it had an even greater "Tori" vibe, but it did not appeal to me as much. I'll comment on it seperately, but suffice it to say it is THIS song that stands out so far both as my favorite and as your greatest work.

Congratulations, lady. Truly.