5.12.08

Daily Battle... in my MIND

To do or not to do... HAIR.
Every day, as I step out of the shower and back into reality, I find myself having the same conversation in my head.
"Hello, there, Lindsay."

"Hi, self-confidence."


"Been awhile, huh?"

"Just since yesterday morning." (I've got to watch my sarcasm. My self-confidence is very touchy.)

"What do you say about straightening your hair today, Lindsay?"

(I twiddle my thumbs, pretending to contemplate this.) "Um, well, I kind of thought I'd give my hair a day off today."

(Self-confidence scoffs and taps her foot.) "No way! You'll look like a lion." (Self-confidence has a point, here, because my natural curl and reddish-brown hair does tend to dry itself in a mane-like figure around my tiny pencil head.)

"Let me think." (While I brush my teeth and force contacts into my protesting, watering eyes, I picture my hair, sleek, shining, after nearly an hour of straightening irons, pomades, hot air from my crappy blow dryer. And in my mind, I always am in slow motion here.)

"All right, self-confidence. Let's straighten my hair today!"

A miserable hour-and-a-half later, I vow to sell my straightener, bring back the lion-mane look, and I resist the urge to walk up to everyone I see on a daily basis and yell, "Notice anything about me?!" while strangling them and flipping my hair all over their faces.
It's an ongoing fight. Someday I'll win it.

No comments: